Thursday, July 17, 2008
Magic waffles!
Breakfast here is a pretty standard affair: Wait in line in a charming, stony hallway, grab tray, grab juice, grab pastry, find a place at the table, spill hot coffee all over because the pots and the pouring are kind of awkward (user error notwithstanding).
This morning, I stood in line for breakfast and stretched my neck to check for anything new on the breakfast scene. Knowing this was unlikely, I turned to Alison and said, "I'm not sure why I check... it's not like there's going to be anything new." Alison: "Yeah, it's not like it's suddenly going to be WAFFLES or something." And then, like a vision, what was sitting on the counter amid the usual muesli and yogurt and canned fruit? Waffles!
(Here, in the story, I go to the Bodleian and finish my "Moby Dick" paper. Yes!)
Fast forward to lunch. We stand in line. We tell someone the story of the waffles. Everyone jokes about Ali mentioning her dream meal as she crosses the threshold into the kitchen (or, at minimum, mentioning a winning lottery ticket). Someone mentions curry. And... *PRESTO!* What's for lunch!? Thai green curry with chicken!
Some days, Bread Loaf is full of Christmas Miracles.
Today was another uneventful photo day as cameras aren't allowed in the Bod and I finished my paper there before lunch. Then Lena put her awesome English teacher pen all over it, and I re-finished my paper just now. Speaking of Lena, tomorrow is her 30th birthday, so there will definitely be photos of birthday fun as it unfolds through the day and evening.
Maybe someone will say "Birthday shoes for Lena!" and a pair will magically appear.
Hey, stranger things have happened.
Love to all,
Melanie
This morning, I stood in line for breakfast and stretched my neck to check for anything new on the breakfast scene. Knowing this was unlikely, I turned to Alison and said, "I'm not sure why I check... it's not like there's going to be anything new." Alison: "Yeah, it's not like it's suddenly going to be WAFFLES or something." And then, like a vision, what was sitting on the counter amid the usual muesli and yogurt and canned fruit? Waffles!
(Here, in the story, I go to the Bodleian and finish my "Moby Dick" paper. Yes!)
Fast forward to lunch. We stand in line. We tell someone the story of the waffles. Everyone jokes about Ali mentioning her dream meal as she crosses the threshold into the kitchen (or, at minimum, mentioning a winning lottery ticket). Someone mentions curry. And... *PRESTO!* What's for lunch!? Thai green curry with chicken!
Some days, Bread Loaf is full of Christmas Miracles.
Today was another uneventful photo day as cameras aren't allowed in the Bod and I finished my paper there before lunch. Then Lena put her awesome English teacher pen all over it, and I re-finished my paper just now. Speaking of Lena, tomorrow is her 30th birthday, so there will definitely be photos of birthday fun as it unfolds through the day and evening.
Maybe someone will say "Birthday shoes for Lena!" and a pair will magically appear.
Hey, stranger things have happened.
Love to all,
Melanie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, you really do go to school at Hogwarts!
Post a Comment