Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fourth of July in Pictures


Today, July 5th, consisted of claiming the first round of books for reading in what is known as the "Lower Camera" reading room of the Bodleian Library and moving later to read at a coffeeshop with Alison. Last night, however, was the Bread Loaf 4th of July BBQ!

On big BBQs right outside Alison's window, cooks prepared tender chicken and veggie kebabs, corn on the cob, and hot dogs. Deep Hall was open for drinks and we had strawberries and cream for dessert.

Here I am running off my mouth about something.

A classmate played the National Anthem on her violin. Here, Alison, Heather, Lena and Leah stand to listen.

The weather turned cool, so Heather warmed herself at the grill, which stayed hot for another warm-up after five of us walked back from a movie ("Edge of Love," about poet Dylan Thomas and his loves) in the funky Jericho neighborhood.

I hope everyone had great holidays and great Saturdays! I'm off now to read "Ethan Frome" for an Edith Wharton paper I'm writing later in the session. Big love to all!

1 comment:

Kaijsa said...

How weird to celebrate American independence in the country from which we separated! Happy 4th!