Friday, August 1, 2008

Stratford upon Awards


Happy news follows, only it seems a little awkward to write about online. If you'd like more details, I can share them over email. Otherwise, I take the self-absorption of a blog to a whole new level (not hard). Suffice to say, it's been an exciting week!

I'll break it down thus: Bread Loaf has an annual awards ceremony, and Lena, Alison, Heather Brubaker and I were recognized. We were invited to sit at High Table. Here's Alison, looking gorgeous, across from me at the table.

In this photo, Heather's engaged in the left-hand conversation, while Lena (far right) talks to her tutor. I had the good-fortune to sit next to my tutor, Christine. After dinner, Associate Director of Bread Loaf, Emily Bartells, introduced each award/awardee by reading written faculty comments from our files. The comments illustrated just how thoughtfully and completely faculty write about the different students in the program. Emily even cited specific papers each of us wrote, especially fun because for the last four-or-so years, we saw one another's papers in production. I asked Emily to forward a copy of the comments.

Yesterday, 70+ Bread Loaf students plus various tutors, administrators, and partners returned to Stratford to see "Hamlet" at the RSC. Due to road construction on our usual highway, we took a curvy route that passed the grounds of Blenheim Palace. After a yummy pub dinner, we walked through the gardens above, which occupy part of the property Shakespeare owned in Stratford as an adult.

Heather, Alison, and Lena stand in front of the RSC's Courtyard Theatre with the poster of the production, starring David Tennant as Hamlet and Patrick Stewart as Claudius. One of the actors in the "play within a play" had sort of a Spock-like 'do (a nod to Jean-Luc Picard?).

It's hard to believe we all leave one week from tomorrow! Nearly everyone is in buckle-down mode, wrapping up research and final papers. I'll spend today, tomorrow and Sunday reading "The Mill on the Floss" for class Monday, and then wrap up my analysis of how walking (really, walking) versus riding (sled, carriage, train, ship, motor-car) affects character-development in Wharton's "The House of Mirth," "Ethan Frome," and "The Age of Innocence." Then, I'll shift into back-to-school mode, crossing-off items that demand attention before the kids return to SAAS in just a few weeks. That said, tonight's study break? "X-Files" movie! (It's making, like, no money and the reviews are stinky, and I'm going to love it anyway.)

Have a great weekend! And happy birthday, Heather (August 1) and Ed (August 2)!

2 comments:

Blythe said...

Hooray for you. I would like some details, please. Did you receive the Nobel Prize or Oxford's equivalent of the Hasty Pudding award? Was there cross-dressing? Do tell.

Anonymous said...

Clearly the awards criteria did not include an evaluation of pub behavior (oops, behaviour) while in town. Congrats, and by all means tell me all the embarrassing compliments.
Annie Tift