Saturday, June 21, 2008

Searching for summer reading? Wharton it up!

Finished Edith Wharton's "The House of Mirth" for the Loaf. Loved it, loved it, loved it. If a turn-o'-the-century (the last one) hot social critique (marginalia: "Go Wharton!") with heaps of Old New York details sounds better than a corndog at the fair (actually, anything sounds better than a corndog at the fair; I'm not really doing this book justice, am I?), git yerself some "Mirth." Warning: Don't invest someone else's money to buy it, nor borrow money to buy it. Even though the book is TOTALLY WORTH EITHER of the above, we learn (especially for women in 1905) these can be Very Bad Things. Now, on to Eliot's "The Mill on the Floss" to see if 19th century England is any kinder on its women. (Care to take a guess how that's going to turn out?) Unrelated: I'm off to Chicago to tour colleges for a week, after which we'll really get this Oxford party started. Love to all. (P.S. For the 140 minute "Mirth," watch Terence Davies' 84% faithful 2000 adaptation, featuring Dana Scully herself, then watch it again with Davies' commentary: a track so insightful, it --- don't fall over --- genuinely added to my understanding of the BOOK.)

1 comment:

Blythe said...

"Anything sounds better than a corndog at the fair"? Speak for yourself, lady. Although a chili dog is really more my speed.

I've never read the book but I loved the movie. I'm only going to admit that to you. And everyone else on the internet, apparently.